Hello there friends,
It’s no secret that cigarette smoke is harmful to your health, but recently I was working on a few computers that had multiple symptoms. Running slow, overheating, even causing the trackpad to fail on a Mac Laptop.
Once I opened each, the overwhelming odor was immediately undeniable. But here’s the result:
The above picture is the fan inside of an iMac, that over time, has accumulated tar and caused it to fail. I know it looks like dust maybe…but this is cigarette smoke that has been “sucked into” the iMac and just built up over time. The picture below actually looks like the bottom of this MacBook was filled with sand:
All of those little “dust specks” are the remnants of smoke inhalation by the laptop. Click on these pictures if you want a closeup “gross out”, but in the laptop, the tar has actually been seeping into the unit, warming up, and then “balling up” inside of the unit.
In both cases these devices needed to be completely stripped down and cleaned…and then they worked! In fact the report on the laptop was that the trackpad wasn’t functioning; so I used three different cleaners to strip the surface of the tar buildup (just where you touch the trackpad), and it was working again. It was simply just too dirty for it to work! HINT: Clean your laptop trackpad often!
That’s a good point; maybe I should call Mike Rowe and apply for that hit TV show, “Dirty Jobs”. This qualifies!
I’m going to go wash my hands again 🙂
Take care, Ryan