Prepare your tech gadgets and plan ahead. Storm season is rolling in.
Spring brings storm season to the Midwest home of Mission Repair. Just yesterday afternoon we saw a wild storm blow over our store in Lenexa. When it comes to weather in the Midwest, expect the unexpected! A hot and sunny day can quickly transform into a stormy mess.
You don’t want to be caught unprepared when it comes to your trusty electronic devices. Communication is crucial when Mother Nature strikes. Devices like cell phones, tablets and computers can make all of the difference in keeping you safe during severe weather. We have put together a quick list of tips to get your gadgets ready while you ride the storm out:
- Choose 2-3 weather, news, or safety-related apps to alert you of special warnings and updates. Many local news stations offer apps to live-stream weather reports.
- Charge your device batteries well in advance, in the event that you lose power.
- Forget candles. Utilize the free flashlight app on your phone or tablet if you are in a bind. Get comfortable with turning it on quickly; many devices offer audio commands like “Hey Siri, Turn on my flashlight”
- Program an emergency list of contacts into your phone for easy access. Include family, friends, coworkers, police & fire agencies, power and insurance companies.
- The insurance industry pays out hundreds of thousands of dollars in claims for losses due to lightning each year. The best approach is to unplug your devices before the storm arrives. However, surge protectors can offer some reassurance and protection for around $30-$100.
Caught in the rain and now you have water damage? Power surge from lightning left you with a device that won’t turn on? Startled by a loud boom of thunder and dropped your device, cracking the screen? Accidents happen and Mission Repairs! Stop by your local Mission Repair walk-in location for a quick and cost-effective solution. http://www.MissionRepair.com